So, another weekend is nearing. But before you know it, it will be Monday again. Monday blues is a real thing, combined with the anxiety of what to wear to office.
There’s a joke on the internet of a girl who has a wardrobe full of clothes yet she doesn’t have anything to wear! Combined with late nights and oversleeping on a Monday morning and the general inclination to resign and just sit at home, the “what should I wear today” question seems insurmountable, doesn’t it?
Seems familiar? Here are some tips to dress up appropriately for office:
- Get to know the dress code of your workplace – Some offices prefer only formals while some are open to casual wear. Know what goes in your company.
- Shop for clothes with the right fit – This is a very important though often overlooked point. Your clothes must fit perfectly, neither too tight nor too loose.
- Avoid showing skin unnecessarily – The thumb rule of most companies. Do not wear clothes with a deep neckline or a high hemline.
- Do not wear flashy jewelry or makeup – Flashy and bold jewelry and heavy makeup cause distractions, especially if you have a client facing role. Keep jewelry simple and makeup discreet.
- Wear appropriate accessories – Select shoes that go with your dress. Keep your shoes well maintained.
- Never leave your hair wet – If you wash your hair in the morning, make sure you blow-dry it. Do not go to office with wet hair.
- Keep your hair off your face – Style your hair in such a way that it stays off your face. Bangs falling on your eyes may be cute, but do not look professional in a corporate environment.
- Be hygienic – Nobody likes talking to a person with bad breath. Sitting beside a person with body odor is the worst punishment anyone can get. Brush your teeth everyday, invest in a good deodorant. If you smoke, keep a mouth freshener handy.
How NOT to look boring at work
1. Classic Look
2. The Casual Business Office Look
3. Carelessly Chic