Diwali is just a few days away. This is one of the most popular festivals, which signifies victory of light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance. Goddess Laxmi along with Lord Ganesh and Goddess Saraswati are worshipped in this festival of Light.
New clothes, lights all over, colorful rangolis, diyas, candles, lanterns grace this festival of light even more. The best part of this festival is that families have get-togethers, bonding over food, exchange of wishes and sweets. Did we say Sweets? My mouth is already watering reminiscing the delicious Diwali sweets that we used to enjoy in our childhood. Yes, indeed, a festival is never complete without the inclusion of Sweets. The main reason why we felt our childhood was special because it contained a lot of awesome food, prepared by our moms. We want to give the same experience to our kids, but who has the time to cook so many items?
Let me share some real quick recipes for this Diwali, so even you can enjoy the festivity.
Coconut Laddoo with Khoya
1 cup Khoya crumbled
1.5 cups fresh grated coconut
¼ cup Sugar
¼ tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp ghee
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan. Add freshly grated coconut to it.
- Roast it lightly for 2-3 minutes. Place it aside.
- Then add ghee. To this, add crumbled khoya / mawa.
- Saute the khoya / mawa for 2-3 minutes. Add Sugar when it begins to melt.
- Mix them properly. Sauté the mixture for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to another bowl and let it cool down a bit.
- While the mixture is still warm, start making the laddoos.
Once they are cold and set firm, your yummy laddoos are ready to be stored in air-tight containers.
Fruity Rice – Yogurt Pudding
This is one of the traditional rice and yogurt base creamy and delectable pudding.
Boiled/cooked rice: 1 cup
Sugar: 1 cup
Fat-free yogurt: 3 cups
Raisins, Almond, Cashews, Pistachios: 5-7
Cardamom powder: ½ tsp
Rose water: 1 tbsp
Chopped Fruits: 2 cups
- Crush saffron strands and add rose water. Mix well.
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Add rice, yogurt, fruits, slivered dry-fruits, sugar, and rose water to the bowl.
- Mix well and refrigerate for 1- hours.
- Garnish with almonds and your fruity rice-yogurt is ready to be served.
Pineapple kiwi yogurt parfait
It’s healthy, it’s palatable, it’s quick and the best part is, even the weight-watchers can relish this quickie (yummy).
Cookies crust: ½ cup
Full Fat yogurt: 1 cup (Fat-free for weight watchers)
Pineapple, chopped: ¼ cup
Kiwi, chopped: ¼ cup
Cherry, orange for garnishing
- Add 2 tsp honey to Pineapple pieces and mix well.
- Add 2 tsp honey to Kiwi pieces and mix well.
- Add 2 tsp honey to yogurt and mix well.
- Let’s assemble them: Place layer of yogurt, then cookies crust and then pineapple.
- Again a layer of yogurt, cookies crust and then kiwi.
- Add another layer of yogurt.
- Garnish with cherry or orange and relish (Yum).
Treat your loved ones and yourself with these quick and tasty recipes, this Diwali. Do try them and don’t forget to post pics. We would love to see the recipes, tried by you. We are also looking forward to the Diwali celebration and the Beautiful You in your most amazing attires. Keep posting. Let’s make this Diwali fire-crackers-free. If kids still insist, then let them do it under your supervision. Take good care of yourself and your loved ones.
Wishing you all, a very Happy and Prosperous DIWALI!!