Today let’s discuss about 10 tips on enhancing vocabulary in kids!
“Hi, Swati!! How are you doing?”
“Hey Ananya!! I am good. How are you?”
“Amoli had come to my place, yesterday. I was astounded to listen to her conversation with Esha. She is just 8. Does she go any English speaking class? She has a very good vocabulary.”
“Thanks dear. Yes, indeed, she has a wonderful vocabulary. I had sent her for a Reading with Vocabulary program. She has improved quite a lot since then. The trainer is very good. She has helped us with the tips as well as you know innumerable words keep on adding to the English vocabulary and I am sure that you would agree that enhancing vocabulary is an ongoing process.”
“Absolutely. What tips did he give you? Can you share with me?”
“It will be a great pleasure to share that over a cup of coffee. What do you think? CCD is just round the corner.”
“Awesome! Let’s go.”
We ordered coffees for us and Swati started sharing the importance of Vocabulary and tips on enhancing it.
Why is having a good vocabulary important?
- Comprehension improves when you know what the words mean. As we know that comprehension is the ultimate goal of reading, we cannot underestimate the importance of vocabulary development.
- It helps your kid to communicate. The more words he knows, the better conversation he can carry.
- It helps your kid to understand what others are communicating.
- It helps them to grasp things better and faster and think more logically.
- It definitely helps in improving the power of persuasion. Again, if he knows more words, he will be able to converse persuasively rather than saying just “Yes” and “No”.
- It also helps in making correct meaning full sentences in turn improving creative writing skills.
10 Tips on enhancing Vocabulary in kids
1. Read, Read and Read
2. Learn a word a day
3. Encourage your kids to use new words
4. Draw the picture of the word
5. Encourage your kids to play vocabulary games
6. Explain the meanings of new words
7. Revise the previous words
8. Encourage your kid to remember a word
9. Use of Synonyms and antonyms
So, dear mommies, use these simple tips and see the difference in their conversations, reading and writing skills. Do share your experiences and we always love to hear from you.
Till then Happy Parenting!!